Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Bulleying...

I know a lot of people get bullied in high school. It's either for being over-weight, disabilities, acne, etc... Personally, my high school life wasn't easy. Bad thing was, I couldn't even escape it over summer. It seemed like it followed me everywhere. I tried being the bigger person and ignoring it. But it gets kinda hard when it seems the people who bulley you manage to get in with your friends. Then what are you suppose to do? Ingore it? Continue to be friends with them? What? Because at that point it seems like the only thing is get away from them. Even the people you've known all your life.

While I was in high school I was picked on. Not because I was over weight, I was far from it. I was picked on because I kept losing weight. But it was in a healthy way, but no one seemed to care. I was picked on because I tried to get along with everyone. Need I remind you I knew most of these people since we were kids. Most of us played tag, hide and seek, went to each others birthday parties. These are the people I grew up with and I was being picked on for getting along with them. Then to top it off, I got picked on about who I dated. Dated? Really? Does it matter to you who I date? I can't help that they broke up with you. It was their choice not mine. Nine times out of ten, the break up was coming, whether it was them or you. But what's wrong with someone asking on a date? Honestly, it's not like they are cheating on you. Yeah, maybe it would've been nice for them to give the break up a little time. Oh well, it happens.

After graduation I packed my bags and moved to California. I figured then it would stop. Wrong. It literally followed me. All because I was here and was able to go to a friend's Marine Corps boot camp graduation. Later, the hard way of course, I learned friends change and we are no longer friends. I moved home and started going to college. This friend, was part of the whole reason I was being bullied in high school. He dated a "friend", she broke up with him and I liked him. Of course, I didn't think it would go anywhere, so I started hanging out with him. But it did go somewhere and I was happy. I was always there for him, no matter what it took. But back to the main point, I tried getting away from him. As soon as I moved back home, of course I knew he would be there, but not at every turn. I had just filled out my last little bit of paperwork to start school and there he was, walking by the door. I stayed and did a few weeks of school, but I couldn't handle it like I thought I could. Then it was back to packing my bags and moving back to California to escape it. But then I started gettin phone calls at all hours of the night. Then it just started happening once a month. Then I met Zakk. Now, all the fun begins. I got a call one night and they left a really dirty voicemail... I let my sister listen to it and I didn't know what to do. I was so scared it was goin to cause me to lose Zakk. But it didn't, he stuck by my side and told me not to worry about it. We thought the phone calls had finally stopped. Wrong. We were laying in bed one night and my phone rang, it showed up "unknown" and I didn't answer it. They left a voicemail telling me Zakk was cheating on me and that he didn't want to be with me anymore. That was the last straw. Time to change my number. So we did and things have gotten better.

Point being, pay attention. If your kids are being bullied try and help them. Don't tell them they are the problem. Sometimes that might be the case, but nine times outta ten, it's not. I would know. I tried everything to avoid it. I was not one to fight. Of course I had a temper, but I didn't want to fight. I was thought to not throw the first punch but to finish it. At the end of this, high school was tough and I hated it. And now I see that it's gotten worse since I've graduated, which was only over a year ago. That's sad. I hate to see anyone go through what I went through and them not being able to escape it. I just wish people would understand what kids face in high school is tough, no matter who they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment